By following the manufacturer's recommendations on proper care and maintenance, you will enhance the life and performance of your hardwood flooring. Consult your specific warranty for detailed cleaning and maintenance instructions.
- SWEEP OR VACUUM REGULARLY - dust and dirt act as an abrasive on your hardwood floors, causing their appearance to become dull and lifeless. Use a soft broom, dust mop or a soft vacuum attachment without a beater bar or sharp edges that could scratch your floor. Vacuum hardwood floors at least once a week and dust mop or sweep in between vacuuming.
- MOPPING - follow the manufacturer's guidelines for mopping and use only recommended cleaning products and mops. Our Okanagan Hardwood Floor Cleaner and Bonamops and accessories are specifically designed for your finished hardwood floors. If your hardwood floors are waxed, consult the manufacturer's instructions for the appropriate products to use.
- SPILLS - remove promptly. Consult the manufacturer's warranty for details on the proper procedure for handling a spill. Moisture left on your hardwood floors will damage them.
- FLOOR MATS - to reduce dirt and moisture from damaging your hardwood floor, some manufacturers suggest the use of frequently cleaned mats or rugs in high traffic areas, particularly at exterior entries. Make sure that the backing on the carpet is recommended for hardwood flooring. Rubber backed carpets may leave a discolouration on your floor. Also, make sure that dirt or grit is not left beneath the carpet or mat, as this will abrade your floors.
- FLOOR PROTECTORS - use soft floor protectors on the underside of furnishings and chairs to prevent scratches and abrasions, and replace them regularly. Use glide systems for kitchen appliances and ensure that your floor is protected when moving furnishings.
- MAINTAIN PROPER HUMIDITY LEVELS - consult your manufacturer's guidelines for the recommended humidity levels in your home.
- FOOTWEAR - do not walk on the floor in high heels, cleats or shoes with deep treads that may hold grit or stones that can cause permanent marks or gouges. Ensure that all footwear is properly wiped and dried, or removed, before walking on your hardwood floors.
- PETS - trim pets' claws to avoid excess scratches.
Click here to download our PDF for hardwood floor care.